North Carolina Adjustment of Status Attorney

For most foreign nationals, the first step in the immigration process is to obtain a non-immigrant status. This can be an employment-based non-immigrant status or a family-based non-immigrant status. This may allow them legal entry into the United States faster than if they applied for legal permanent resident (LPR) status right at the start. In fact, after being granted a non-immigrant visa, an immigrant still has the ability to adjust their non-immigrant status to that of an LPR.

How to Adjust Your Status

In order to be eligible for a green card after entering the U.S. with a non-immigrant visa, you must be eligible due to a petition made by a family member or employer, or by obtaining refugee or asylum status. Therefore, your immigrant petition can be family-based, employment-based, or based on special circumstances. To receive a green card through an adjustment of status, your sponsor (family or employer) must file an immigrant petition on your behalf. Also, depending on the category of your adjustment, you may need to file a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status at the same time as your sponsor's petition. This is known as concurrent filing. Keep in mind, however, that you cannot file a Form I-485 until a visa number becomes available.

Get Excellent Legal Counsel

At Robert Brown LLC, our legal team has handled all kinds of immigration issues, from writs of mandamus to deportation or removal defense. No matter what situation you are facing - including adjustment of status - we can help. Call now and we will provide you with a initial evaluation of your case so that you know what options you have, as well as which are best for you. Legal counsel is invaluable throughout the process of immigration, so contact Robert Brown LLC today!

Contact Robert Brown, LLC

Schedule Your Consultation Today

Send My Information