North Carolina Immigration Lawyer

Do I need an employment authorization document?

Employers in the United States are not allowed to hire foreign immigrants without first ensuring that they are legally allowed to work in the United States. Citizens and lawful permanent residents (green card holders) have automatic employment authorization. Non-permanent resident immigrants, however, must prove their eligibility by receiving an employment authorization document (EAD). These documents are issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), as are renewal EADs and replacement EADs.

In order for an immigrant to receive an EAD, they must complete and submit a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. This application involves listing your eligibility category, or why you are applying for employment authorization in the United States. Options include lawful temporary resident, refugee or asylee, fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, temporary protected status (TPS), and various forms of non-immigrant visas.

For Employers

As a U.S. employer, do not take chances regarding your workers' legal statuses. If they are not qualified to work in the United States, you could face serious repercussions and legal issues upon discovery. It is in your best interest to ensure that your immigrant workers have valid, government-issued EADs before allowing them to work for your company.

Consult with an Attorney in North Carolina

Whether you are an employer or an employee, get answers to any immigration questions you may have by contacting the firm of Robert Brown LLC. We have focused our practice on nothing but immigration law for more than 40 years and we are more than capable of assisting you with your employment authorization issue. Attorneys Rishi Oza and Aleksandar Cuic have both been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® Rising Starsâ„  and Mr. Brown has previous experience as the INS district director in Cleveland, Ohio. For the competent experience you need, call a North Carolina immigration attorney at our offices today for a case evaluation.

Contact Robert Brown, LLC

Schedule Your Consultation Today

Send My Information