North Carolina Immigration Attorneys

What To Do If Your Visa Is About To Expire

Anytime an individual is granted entry into the United States on a non-immigrant visa, they are only allowed to stay in the states for a set period of time. The extent of their stay is commonly determined by the type of visa they have requested and the reason they wish to attain non-immigrant status in the U.S. The most common types of visas are family-based visas, employment-based visas, and student visas, although there are a number of other visa types available. Once you have been given a non-immigrant visa, it is essential that you keep track of your visa's expiration date so that you can file an application to extend, or change, your non-immigrant status well before your current visa expires.

Should you overstay your visa, you will be eligible for immediate deportation or removal from the country. You could also find yourself ineligible to apply for a visa, or green card, at a later date. Providing you have a current and valid non-immigrant visa, a valid passport (which will remain valid throughout your extended stay), you have not committed any crimes that you make you inadmissible, and you haven't violated the terms of your existing visa, you will more than likely qualify to extend your visa. It is important to note, however, that there are certain visas which are not eligible for renewal.

If you need to apply for a visa extension, we recommend you contact a skilled immigration attorney at our North California office as soon as possible. Remember that any delay in filing for an extension could put your legal immigration status at risk. When you contact our firm, one of our experienced attorneys will review your current status, advise you on the best course of action to pursue, help you fill out the paperwork necessary to obtain your extension and help you overcome any legal obstacles to get you the most optimum results possible for your case. With more than four decades experience helping clients resolve all manner of immigration issues, you can count on us to provide you with compassionate, dedicated and effective legal representation.

Allowing your non-immigrant visa to expire puts you and your family at risk. Contact a North Carolina immigration lawyerat Brown Immigration Law today to find out how we can help you.