North Carolina Immigration Attorneys

How Do I Get a Green Card?

Are you interested in seeking permanent residence here in the United States? If so, you may be wondering how to find an immigration lawyer in North Carolina to guide you through the appropriate immigration process. Our immigration law firm is committed to providing legal representation to individuals seeking temporary or permanent U.S. residency.

Over the past few decades, we have played an intrinsic role in helping numerous individuals and families obtain an adjustment of status from non-immigrant to lawful permanent resident. We have also provided compassionate, yet aggressive counsel to those seeking counselor processing in their home country.

If you are intending on pursuing a green card through an adjustment of status you will need to:

  • Determine the immigrant category which will be the basis for your application
  • File the proper immigration form or have an immigrant petition filed on your behalf by a qualifying family member, employer or other individual
  • Verify visa availability
  • File an application to adjust your immigration status or register permanent residency
  • Appear at an Application Support Center near you to get your picture taken and to be fingerprinted
  • Go to your scheduled interview with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
  • Await your final decision by mail

Those individuals who are not currently residing in the United States may be able to get a green card through consular processing. The steps involved in consular processing include:

  • Determining which specific immigrant category applies to you
  • Filing your immigrant petition with USCIS. In certain situations this can be done through a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad
  • Wait for notification on the decision made by USCIS
  • Wait to be summoned by the National Visa Center to fulfill the necessary documentation requirements and pay the necessary application fees
  • Go to your schedule appointment
  • Should there be any changes in your address or personal situation, the National Visa Center will need to be notified at once
  • Those who are granted an immigrant visa will receive a Visa Packet which they will then need to provide to customs officer upon their arrival to the states
  • Your green card will then be mailed to you within 45 days of you arriving in the U.S.

While both the adjustment of status process and consular processing can be very complicated, an experienced immigration lawyer can help you navigate either process with ease. Even denials can be successfully appealed with the help of an immigration lawyer from our firm.

To find out more about the green card process or to get assistance seeking permanent residency, contact Brown Immigration Law immediately.