North Carolina Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today (919) 225-3963
Helping Individuals, Families, and Companies in Immigration Matters Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

Understanding Changes of Status

Immigration Attorney in North Carolina

Often confused with an adjustment of status, which changes an immigrant's status from non-immigrant to lawful permanent resident, a change of status allows an immigrant to change from one non-immigrant status to another. For example, an individual may enter the U.S. with an H visa as a seasonal worker. Later, they may decide to pursue a degree at a U.S. university, which requires them to switch their H visa to an F-1 student visa. This requires a change of status.

It is vital that you apply for a change of status before your current non-immigrant visa expires. Otherwise, you may be subject to removal or deportation. While you await a response from the USCIS regarding your request, it is also important that you do not change your actions. Everything you do must continue to comply with your current immigrant status until your change of status is granted.

Why request a status change?

Non-immigrant visas can be very restricting regarding your actions. If you come to the U.S. under the conditions of one visa and then realize that you want to pursue other actions or opportunities in the United States, your best choice would be to request a change of status. The sooner you do so, the sooner you can begin pursuing your desired activities, so speak with a North Carolina immigration lawyer today to discuss your options.

How Our Firm Can Assist You

Our team has counseled and represented immigrants in North Carolina, Ohio, Florida, and across the United States and the world for decades. Find out how we could help you by calling now for a comprehensive consultation. We would love to review your situation and help you make an educated decision regarding your immigrant status.

To find out how a lawyer can help you switch to a different non-immigrant visa, or to discuss the option of lawful permanent residency, contact Robert Brown LLC.

Contact Robert Brown LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • Is Changing Birthright Citizenship the Answer?

    While immigration is in the news on almost a daily basis and is becoming a firestorm issue for the upcoming 2016 Presidential election, a recent ...

    Continue Reading
  • Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA)

    President Obama's Executive Action announcement in November 2014 included a major benefit provided to parents of American citizen and lawful permanent ...

    Continue Reading