North Carolina Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today (919) 225-3963
Helping Individuals, Families, and Companies in Immigration Matters Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

Documentary Requirements for Immigration

North Carolina Immigration Lawyer

Every travel or immigrant visa to the United States requires the provision of one or more documents. These can be used to verify the applicant's identity, waive certain restrictions, and allow legal entry or residence in the United States. A few of the most commonly required documents and their descriptions are listed below. To determine which forms you must file and documentation you must submit, speak with a North Carolina immigration attorney as soon as possible.

Types of Necessary Immigration Documents

This document, or copies thereof, is one of the main forms of verifying an immigrant's identity. It is highly valuable when it comes to applying for a visa or any other travel / immigration document.

An immigrant can legally reside in the United States only if they have a visa. This can be a non-immigrant visa allowing them to remain in the country temporarily for work or business, or it can be a permanent resident visa (green card).

Visa Waiver
The U.S. allows nationals of 37 different countries to travel to the U.S. for tourism or business for a maximum of 90 days without a visa. In order to do so, however, the individual must file a visa waiver.

I-94 / I-95
Non-immigrant travelers to the United States must have a Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record completed by a U.S. Customs officer at the time of entry into or departure out of the United States. A similar document is Form I-95, Crewman's Landing Permit, which is used explicitly by crewmembers of sea vessels and aircraft.

Form I-551 is the official name of the green card or alien registration card of the United States. This document can be granted to qualified individuals for employment-based reasons or family-based reasons.

Border Crossing Cards
These cards act as both a border crossing card (BCC) and a B-1 or B-2 visitor visa. They can come in the form of a laminated, technologically / graphically enhanced card, or a visa in a passport. They allow the holder to cross the U.S.-Mexico border for a set period of time - usually ten years after the issue date.

Advance Parole
Advance parole allows non-permanent residents in the United States to leave the country and have the ability to reenter again, even though they do not maintain a permanent resident status. In most cases, the individual has a pending adjustment of status or asylum application, they are a refugee, or they have been granted temporary protected status.

Reentry Permit
Reentry permits are similar to advance parole, but apply to lawful permanent residents (LPR) instead of non-immigrants. By obtaining a reentry permit, an LPR has the ability to leave the U.S. for an extended period of time (up to two years) without losing their green card.

Refugee Travel Document
A refugee travel document is a reentry permit granted to individuals who have received refugee status. Refugees are extremely restricted regarding travel outside of the U.S., but with a refugee travel document, they can travel abroad without losing their refugee status.

Our Lawyers Are Here for You

If you are in need of assistance with any kind of immigration issue, call the offices of Robert Brown LLC today. Our lawyers have extensive experience in immigration law, having practiced nothing else for many years. We have a detailed knowledge of all the different forms, documents, and applications that are required for your entry into the United States, so do not hesitate to speak with us and discuss your options through a confidential consultation.

Contact our firm today to learn more about your options and how we can help.

Contact Robert Brown LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • Is Changing Birthright Citizenship the Answer?

    While immigration is in the news on almost a daily basis and is becoming a firestorm issue for the upcoming 2016 Presidential election, a recent ...

    Continue Reading
  • Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA)

    President Obama's Executive Action announcement in November 2014 included a major benefit provided to parents of American citizen and lawful permanent ...

    Continue Reading