North Carolina Immigration Attorneys
Contact Us About Your Legal Matter Today (919) 225-3963
Helping Individuals, Families, and Companies in Immigration Matters Our Dedicated Attorneys Are Ready to Help You

Fiancé / Fiancée Visas

Immigration Lawyer in North Carolina

Foreign nationals who are engaged to be married to a United States citizen may be eligible to apply for a family-based immigration visa. This does not include foreigners who intend to marry a foreign national who is outside of the United States or who is a green card holder. In these cases, they must apply for legal permanent resident (LPR) status themselves. If their fiancé(e) is indeed a U.S. citizen, however, they and any of their dependent children may be eligible for entry under a K visa.

Types of K Visas for Engaged Couples and Children

K-1 Visa
The fiancé or fiancée of a U.S. citizen may apply for a K-1 visa, allowing them to immigrate under a non-immigrant status. The U.S. citizen must file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) and the two individuals must be married within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e)'s entering the United States under a K-1 visa. Other requirements include having all former marriages legally terminated by divorce, death or annulment, and that the two fiancés must have met at least once within the two years of filing the petition.

K-2 Visa
This visa is available for the dependent children of a foreign fiancé(e). The children must be under 21 years old and unmarried. The names of all such children must be listed on the Form I-129F filed by the U.S. citizen when requesting a K-1 visa.

Find an Immigration Attorney

The importance of hiring a skilled North Carolina immigration attorney in such cases cannot be overstated. Without proper legal counsel, you could make a mistake and cause your fiancé(e) to be denied entry. A lawyer from Robert Brown LLC will have the knowledge and experience to prevent such a mistake and help your loved one obtain a visa as quickly as possible. We have been selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers® Rising Stars and have practiced immigration law alone for decades.

Our team has what it takes to assist you, so call now for a consultation.

Contact Robert Brown LLC

You Deserve a Personalized Legal Solution
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.

Our Blog

Recent Posts
  • How to Apply for Asylum in the U.S.

    For many people outside of the United States, living in a constant state of fear has become the norm due to various things outside of their control. ...

    Continue Reading
  • Is Changing Birthright Citizenship the Answer?

    While immigration is in the news on almost a daily basis and is becoming a firestorm issue for the upcoming 2016 Presidential election, a recent ...

    Continue Reading
  • Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA)

    President Obama's Executive Action announcement in November 2014 included a major benefit provided to parents of American citizen and lawful permanent ...

    Continue Reading